Thursday, January 23, 2014

IS YOUR SELLING SHOWING?

Nick Michaels
Copyright American Voice Corp. 2014 All Rights Reserved

I was looking for something on YouTube the other day and, as is often the case, a commercial started with that little timer in the lower right corner that says “you can skip this ad in 5..4..3..2..1.”  I normally skip ads as soon as I can but I didn't skip this one. While looking through the comments after watching the story, I noticed that Guy Kawasaki commented saying that he “watched the whole thing.”  It was two minutes and fifty-six seconds long and I wished it was longer.

It was an interesting story about a man named Ken Delmar who paints on Bounty paper towels. It reminded me of a similar thing I did for a client of The Drive in Chicago a few years ago. Here was proof that in the over communicated world in order for advertising to be accepted, it must detach from overt selling and become about emotional engagement.

This story managed to reinforce all the unique attributes of Bounty without ever appearing to be selling anything. Even though the overwhelming majority of Bounty users are never going to use it as a means for artistic expression, the story engages and entertains them, while getting the message across that Bounty was very absorbent. Is your message doing that or is your selling showing? You can view it by clicking on the link below.
The Man Who Paints on Bounty Paper Towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment